Top 12 things to do in Lisbon
If you’re looking for warm weather, welcoming locals and wonderful nightlife then Lisbon if that place to visit. Lisbon was a city that I visited without big expectations, but when I left it was one of the best cities I’ve been to in Europe.
Lisbon has been hailed as one of Europe’s hidden gems, and with good reason. The Portuguese city is charming, chilled-out and cool. You’ll enjoy great food, great wine and great weather wherever you go. This is a city I could go back to time and time again.
Check out the best things to do in Lisbon!
- Take a ride on Tram 28. This is one of the city’s main icons and is one of the best ways to discover beautiful Lisbon.
- Stroll up to St. George’s Castle (Castelo de São Jorge), chill on a terrace and enjoy a beer or wine while you admire the city view from afar…
- Visit the flea market and pick up a souvenir or two.
- Head over to the pastry shop Fábrica dos Pastéis de Belém and try the delicious and famous cake of Belém. For other parts of the world this sweet treat is mostly known as Portuguese custard tarts but in Belem, they are “Pasteis de Belem”
- Travel around the city on metro around …you’ll notice that some stations are decorated with authentic underground works of art.
- Try the local dish of salted codfish, a star ingredient in Portuguese cuisine. The Portuguese often say there is different codfish recipe for every day of the year.
- You should try a shot of ginginha (cherry liqueur) before you leave Lisbon, you can find this is most places for 1 euro but the traditional coffee shop “A ginginha do Rossio” is known for it.
- Go to the Gulbenkian Gardens to escape the urban rush.
- If you have time then you should catch a football game at the Stadium of Light, also referred to as the “Cathedral” by Benfica fans.
- Make sure you spend an evening exploring Bairro Alto, a district known for its bars and fantastic nightlife atmosphere.
- Visit the beautiful town of Sintra, a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- If you do a free walking tour around the city, you’ll get to tick most of these off in one go!
Where I stayed
I got myself a private room (25 euro) at the Living Lounge Hostel in Lisbon and I have to say it was probably one of the best hostels I’ve ever stayed in. They offer free walking tours in the morning and bar crawls in the evening. The rooms are excellent and the bathrooms are outstanding for a hostel. Everything is perfectly cleaned and its extremely welcoming. I give this hostel a very high recommendation for anyone visiting Lisbon!
July 18, 2018
March 23, 2018
October 12, 2017